1. Why English?

Perhaps you feel excited about discovering the world through words; perhaps it has always been your dream to write the next great Filipino novel; perhaps you simply have been in love with reading ever since you could remember. No matter what the reason, your interest in English language and literature is what brought you here.

If you need further convincing, here are a couple of lists about why English might be the perfect course for you:

2. What courses do you offer?

The Department of English and Comparative Literature (DECL) offers four distinct courses: English Studies: Language; English Studies: Literature; Comparative Literature (specializing in Asian Literature, European Literature, or Philippine Literatures in English and in English Translation); and Creative Writing (concentrating on poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, or children’s literature). To check the curriculum for each program, click here.

 3. Okay, I’m convinced. How do I apply?

If you are a senior in high school, you would need to apply following the regular university admission process—that is, indicate in your application form any of the four English courses as your first choice, submit your requirements through the Office of University Registrar (OUR), and then take the University of the Philippines College Admissions Test (UPCAT). There is no special entrance exam administered by the DECL for incoming freshmen. To know more about the UPCAT, please go to this site.

If you are a foreign student, you may refer to the form for foreign undergraduate students, which can be found on this page.

If you are planning to transfer or shift from another college/university/or UP unit, you may apply personally at the DECL office located in the Faculty Center in UP Diliman. The General Weighted Average (GWA) required and exam schedules can be found here and here.

If you would like to take English as a second degree, kindly visit the DECL office to learn about the requirements.

For prospective graduate students, you may apply at the Graduate Studies Office (GSO), also located at the Faculty Center. Entrance exam schedules and specific requirements will be provided by the GSO. General information for graduate applicants may be found here.

For further information regarding UP admissions, check out the UP-OUR website.

 4. Do you have a certificate course in creative writing?

The DECL does not offer certificate courses for any of its programs.

 5. What is the grade requirement to stay in the course?

For undergraduate students, there is no minimum grade requirement in order to stay in the program.

For graduate students in the masters program, a Cumulative Weighted Average Grade (CWAG) of 2.0 must be complied with every academic year. For doctoral candidates, the CWAG must be 1.75.

 6. Do you offer financial assistance? Any scholarships targeted for English majors?

UP provides subsidized tuition for all students. To know more about the Socialized Tuition System bracketing, go to this link.

The Francisco Arcellana scholarship is awarded to an exemplary student of either Creative Writing or Malikhaing Pagsulat. The scholarship provides a monthly stipend for a year from the family of the late National Artist for Literature Francisco Arcellana. For more information, contact the UP Institute of Creative Writing (ICW) through its Facebook page.

 7. I need help with my grammar. Do you offer special courses for non-UP students?

The Intensive English Program (IEP) assists locals and foreigners who need help with their grammar. To know more about the IEP, please visit the DECL office and look for Dr. Mila Laurel.

 8. I would like to improve my writing skills. Do you offer workshops for either creative or academic writing?

The ICW organizes an annual National Writers Workshop for mid-career writers. You may contact their office for more details. Other national workshops targeted for creative writers are the Silliman University National Writers Workshop and the Ateneo National Writers Workshop.

If you are a currently enrolled UP student, you may take English 10 to improve your academic writing and research skills, or Creative Writing 10 or 100 to practice literary writing.

At this time, there are no smaller workshops offered for non-UP students.

 9. What are my career options after I graduate?

You may think that career options for the English major is limited to teaching ESL or freelance writing, but the track of some of the brightest DECL alumni will prove otherwise. The department’s graduates have gone on to become distinguished lawyers, copywriters, published authors, journalists, marketers, politicians, literary critics, doctors, and professors.

Your training in close reading, deep research, and logical reasoning will equip you with skills for the most in-demand jobs in the fields of media, public administration, business, and law, to name a few. Really, there is no limit to what an English major could do.

 10. Who do I contact if I have questions not covered by the FAQ?

You may get in touch with the DECL staff at (632) 926-3496 or decl.kal@gmail.com.